Friday, September 30, 2011

The End of My Sixth Week at Feinberg Fisher

A picture of me and my Mom after school today.

It is finally Friday. Well actually this week we only had 4 days of school so it was a pretty short and easy week. On Thursday we had the day off because it was Rosh Hashanah. Do you know what this is? I didn't know until this week myself.

Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Years. It marks the beginning of the year of the Jewish calendar and the words literally mean "head of the year" or "first of the year" in Hebrew. There is no work done on Rosh Hashanah (or school) and one of the customs during this two day holiday is to eat apples dipped in honey to make sure that you have a sweet year ahead.

Because there is a large Jewish population here in Miami Beach they close the schools knowing that many of the kids would not come to school anyway.

The rest of the week was pretty good. I worked on my science fair project, spelling, some math pages and a small essay for my PE class. They also introduced an online reading program called "Ticket to Read". This is a fun reading program where whenever you read a passage and answer some questions about what you read you will get tickets. With these tickets you can customize your online clubhouse. I like it quite a lot.

Today after school they were selling ices (like slushes) and my Dad bought me a watermelon flavoured one. After that my Dad had to go to work and so my Mom and I went to Sushi Samba for our weekly afternoon snack.

After that we went to an art gallery where artists also had their studios. Some of the artists were in their studios working and if the door was open you were allowed to go in. We saw some really great art. Here are a few of my favourite pieces:


On Sunday we are thinking that we might go to see the Everglades. It is about 30 minutes in the car from where we are. I will give you a full report on Monday with my Florida Facts blog section about our trip.

Cheers,

M

5 comments:

  1. Love that art, especially the little head that looks like the world! Think global!

    Glad you survived the giant thunder and lightning... don't stand under a tree and don't use your cell phone during the storms!!!!
    xxxL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watermelon must have tasted so refreshing. I'm having an open studio today so I have to run and clean it up. Enjoy the Everglades that will be really exciting!

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Max!

    What is your answer to to question "What is Art and why does it matter?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems to me you deserve a "HIGH FIVE" for all the wonderful things you have learned and alllll the things you have done over the past 6 weeks...and you most certainly deserve a "HIGH FIVE" for your awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa: That art gallery was really cool and it made me think that I might want to be an artist when I grow up. During the storm I was actually really afraid. I have never seen anything like it!!!

    Ross: Hope that your open studio went well. Today when I get home from school I will be writing about our amazing airboat tour of the Everglades!

    Leslie: I am still thinking about this so I will have to get back to you on this. I do know that art does really matter. I loved going to see all of the different art and seeing some of the artists at work.

    Monteen: Thanks for always leaving such nice comments for me.

    ReplyDelete