Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Florida Facts



Sorry that I haven't written in a while. I have been really busy around the house and at school and I have been fighting a bad cough as well. But I am back!

I want to introduce something that I'm going to do every Monday or Tuesday here on my blog. It is going to be called Florida Facts.

Florida Facts will be a bit of interesting information about Florida and its culture. Something that I have learned in the past week about the state that I am currently living in.

This past week in school we learned about the Kennedy Space Center. It is located just east of Orlando Florida and right next to the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. It is about a 4 hour drive from where we are in Miami Beach but even though I get car sick I totally want to drive there and see it.  They are no longer launching any space ships from there (the last one was earlier this year, I think in April or May) they still have a tour you can take around the Nasa Space Center.

In school we talked about some of the different buildings there and what they are/were used for. One of the buildings called OFP was used for removing left-over fuel tanks from the shuttles and fixing any damage that was done to the shuttles during flights, and other maintenance stuff.

My favourite part was when we learned about was the crawler transporter. This is the the machine that transports the spacecrafts from Nasa's VAB (vehicle assembly building) building to the launch pad.

It has a top speed of 2 miles per hour and it measures 131 x 114 feet. It takes a team of nearly 30 engineers, technicians and drivers to operate it! If I get to go and see it I will take some photos and post them here.

I promise to be back in a few days with more fun things about life in Miami.

Talk soon,

M.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the very interesting facts Max.
    You are a good boy. I hope your cough goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max
    Thanks for the new post. A lot of interesting facts.
    As for the car sickness, get your Mom to buy you some "Ginger Chews".
    They are supposed to help with motion sickness and I think you will like them as they are quite spicey. Take care of that cough. Love you Bos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Max,
    The last space shuttle launch was somewhere around July 4 (though I think it was delayed for a few days because of the weather).
    My friend Kevin drove across the USofA to witness the launch. Perhaps you remember Kevin - he looks like a mountain man (all hair, all the time). I can't really remember what Kevin told me about the launch other than it was awfully small since he was far away from the actual launch site.
    My niece's daughter also went to see that launch. She had some photos online somewhere... I'll send you the link if I find them.
    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Max! Too bad about the cough. Get rid of it soon. Maybe you can pass it onto the lunch monitor ladies...can't believe I said that. Love the Florida Fact happenings on Mondays or Tuesdays. It will be the highlight of the start of my week. Don't worry about not posting every day. You need to keep some memories just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad: Thanks, I love you.

    Bos: Thanks for the advice on the ginger chews. I will be sure to try them.

    Miles: Thanks for letting me know when it really launched. I don't remember but my Mom says he lived at our house for a month years ago. I wish I had witnessed the final launch!

    Leslie: Thanks Leslie, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from Copenhagen! I'm at Tivoli Gardens, the second oldest amusement park in the world (it opened in the 1840s). I went on a scary swing ride with great views of the whole city. Lots of other fun stuff to do here... You'd love it! Keep me posted on the NASA stuff... I remember watching the first man walk on the moon... Now THAT was a long time ago!
    xxxLisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Max! I like your 'Florida Facts' idea! Ross would love to go to NASA one day I am sure so pay close attention so you can tell him all about it the next time you see him. Oh and the other day I was telling my brother how I get motion sick on boats and he told me about those behind the ear patches you can get. He swears by them and you just put it on the day before you go. Let me know how they work!
    Hope the cough is better soon.
    xo rolti

    ReplyDelete