Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day at School



Today was my first day at Feinberg Fisher School. It was an okay day. First of all I woke up at 7 am, got up, got dressed in my new uniform and had some breakfast (two eggs, over easy with toast).

Then my Mom and Dad took me to school. We arrived a few minutes early and I saw a friend that I met on Saturday at the orientation named Jose. I headed up to my classroom right before the teacher, Ms. Llorca, got there. I headed in and said goodbye to my parents.

I got settled in at my new desk and met some of my new classmates.

It sure is different here at my school in Miami Beach. Here are a couple of things that are very different from home:

First up in the morning you need to sing the national anthem with your right hand over your heart. Luckily I watch a lot of hockey and so I know it pretty well.

There is no recess before lunch like at home. Even at lunch you just need to eat your lunch and go right back to school. No time to run around before going back to class.

At lunchtime I lined up in the cafeteria but then realized that because I had my own lunch from home I didn't need to. Then I wasn't sure where I should sit in the cafeteria. I asked a teacher where I should sit and she told me but then I was sitting all by myself and then I felt sad. I was worried than nobody wanted to sit with me but then I realized that all of my classmates were still in the hot lunch line-up. Soon I was joined by some classmates and this made me feel much better.

After lunch we headed straight back to the classroom with no break. I was kind of weirded out by that. When we got back in I finished off some work that I had started in the morning and then we continued on to math. The actual school work didn't seem that hard to me.

The day went by very quickly and so soon the bell rang, the day was over and my Mom was there to meet me. We walked home from school and I got a chocolate milkshake on the way.

Tomorrow I still don't know what to expect but I hope that it will be a good day.

Bye for now,

M.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Max,
    Glad to hear you made it through your first day and that you've made a friend already!
    It kind of sucks that you don't get a recess or play time after lunch! Hopefully you'll get a few P.E. classes a week to make up for it.
    I'm glad you found the work easy.
    Good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max
    FELIZIDADES!!!!!
    You made it through the hardest day. From now on it should be smoother sailing. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Love and Hugs Bos and Pa

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with Bos and Pa! All smooth sailing from here on in! No recess? Crazy! Hope it all goes well tomorrow.

    xo rolti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Max:
    The Star Spangled Banner is a hard song to sing. One of the hardest anthems out there, actually. I'd like a few more details about your teacher Mrs. Llorca. How you pronounce her name, for starters. Is the double L pronounced with a "Y" sound like (NEW) YORK or an "L" sound like LLAMA (the animal). And how about Jose? What's his story?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Max

    All in all it sounds like a good first day. How did your home packed lunch stand up against the hot lunch offered? I hope your mom is keeping up her kitchen skills...don't want you going hungry. Please keep me posted on this. When I went to school we sang O Canada in the morning and God Save the Queen (or was it King? - just kiddin' - I am not that old!) in the afternoon. We said the Lord's Prayer too if I remember correctly and girls were not allowed to wear jeans or lipstick. OMG! I AM OLD! Have a great day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao Bello Max....

    Keep on rockin little brother! You got a heart of gold and soon enough you will have tons of friends and adventures. Take it all day by day!

    From Los Angeles with LOVE.....Paolo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Max,

    That sounds like a REALLY tough thing to deal with -- your very first day in school, in another country!

    I went through the very same thing when I was your age, moving to a new school in Sweden. It was really scary at first, but then soon, I made lots of friends. And you are one of the nicest boys ever invented, so you will be making lots of friends before you know it!

    Just remember to teach them the Canadian anthem, so that you're ready to show them the Canucks, when they started beating up the Florida Panthers!

    Love, Fred & Cher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Max,

    Glad to hear your first day of school went well. All of the Graham kids are jealous of you living in Miami! Did you know that when I was your age I lived in Boca Raton. It's about an hour from Miami.

    Give your parents a big hug from me!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  9. BIG GIANT HUG MAX !! Charlie and I have been thinking about you soo much.. You are very brave (or at least you seem brave). This is real character building stuff, and at the very least you have your dad and your sweet mom to lean on. Every day that you are there, is one more day of more support (another friend, another familiarity). You CAN do it - you're incredible! We love you and miss you, xoxo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice picture..you look like a fine young man to me. I'm sure you'll find your "Perfect" place anywhere you are. Have a great day tomorrow and the rest of the week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, thank everyone for commenting!

    Aubin: Thanks. We had PE yesterday and today but that is it for the week and it doesn't really make up for not having recess everyday. xo M

    Bos and Pa: Gracias! Today was a little bit easier, or should I say A LOT easier. Hugs and kisses back at you.

    Rolti: Hopefully everything will be smooth sailing from here on in. Thanks!

    Lisa: The anthem is pretty hard, I barely remembered it today. As far as Ms. Llorca it is pronounced as a Y like in New York. As far as Jose goes I am not sure what his story is yet.

    Leslie: My Mom is still cooking great and my home lunch was way better than what they had at the cafeteria by the looks of it. The cafeteria food looked pretty gross. I will keep you posted.

    Paolo: Thanks! I am just trying to hand in there. Today was much, much better.

    Fred: I didn't know that you went to school in Sweden! How was it there. Today was a lot easier than yesterday and I am making some new friends. I am still waiting for the right time to teach them O Canada.

    Scott: I will give my parents a big hug and no I didn't that you lived near here. Say hi to Monique and Michael, Rachel, Jack and Sophia for me.

    Lisa and Charlie: Thank for very very much for the hug and the comment. Today was a lot easier but I still miss you guys and QVA! xo M

    Monteen: Thank you for your comment, my Mom took the photo!

    ReplyDelete