Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dolphins!


Right now I am in the Bahamas with my family and I am having the most amazing vacation here. Yesterday I went to a place called Dolphin Cay here at our hotel and it was so cool. Here is what happened:

First we signed up for a close up meeting with a dolphin and then we changed into wet suits and headed in for our dolphin orientation. During the orientation we learned a lot about dolphins. Here are some of the main things that I learned about dolphins:


1. Dolphins are mammals.
2. They move their tails up and down, unlike sharks who move their tails side to side.
3. Dolphins can stay underwater for up to 15 minutes but cannot breath underwater.
4. Dolphins cannot go into a full sleep because they need to be conscious to breathe so they only let one half of their brain sleep at a time!
5. The dorsal fin is as unique as a person's face.
6. They swallow fish whole.
7. Dolphins can jump as high as 20 feet out of the water.
8. They can swim up to 25 miles per hour.
9. The average age that they live to in the wild is about 17 years but they can live up to 50 years.
10. Dolphins like to have their chins tickled. I got to do this and the dolphin laughed.


The dolphin that I got to meet was named Kelly. She was 37 years old and had was a mother to 3 babies. She had been rescued after she was let out to sea during Hurricane Katrina. She was brought to the Bahamas with a bunch of other dolphins where she lives now.  Kelly was really good at jumping very high in the air. I got to give her a kiss and hold her in the water which was awesome. I got to rub her belly and tickle her under her chin and when I did when made sounds like she laughing. Kelly could also wave her dorsal fins to say hello.

We are leaving the Bahamas tomorrow to go to Orlando. We are going to Disney World! I will post again when I get back.

M.

5 comments:

  1. WOW-Beautiful Boy-- Beautiful Family--- Beautiful Dolphin...Sure would be nice to be in your shoes for awhile...I know you will love orlando-Disney world and all the other great places to see and things to do...I was lucky to live in St.Petersburg Fla. when my boys were young and we would go to DW lots...they loved it!! Have a great time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max,
    The photos are great & the Dolfin facts are very interesting. Who is the beautiful woman in the photos? I'm guessing she's one of Charlie's Angels.
    Have fun in Orlando & enjoy the warm weather as you will soon be back in the frozen north.
    Hugs,
    Pa & Boss

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Guys!! How fun and you all look great!! See you when you get back from your Excellent Adventure...also that was a great costume - was that a festering pustule on your face Max?
    Tons of love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for the NYC post! Love the latest pics!

    ReplyDelete