Thursday, October 20, 2011

Florida Facts #7


Okay so I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is I am coming home. The bad news is I am coming home. I have totally missed everyone at home and so that is why it is good news that we are coming home but now I have really started to settle in here and will be sad to leave.

My Dad's show, Charlie's Angels, was cancelled and so we should be back in Vancouver by the middle of November. Before we come home we are going on a bit of an adventure. We are going to the Bahamas, then to Orlando then to Washington DC and then to New York City. It will be very fun and interesting and I will report my adventures along the way.

But now onto this week's Florida Facts! Facts about the Florida Keys!

Last weekend I went to visit Key West in the Florida Keys. My Grandma and Grandpa (who I call Boss and Pa) came to visit us in Miami and we so we thought it was the perfect time to explore this area for a couple of days.  It is a three hour drive to reach Key West and so half way there we stopped to get some lunch. During the drive it was pouring rain and then when we got there it was pouring rain and so we were trapped inside. It rained the entire time we were there but we did get to see a few cool things. We went to the pool in the rain which was fun. We drove around and looked at the town of Key West which would have been really great to walk around if it was sunny. We took a picture at the southernmost point in the continental USA.We visited the Ernest Hemingway House and went on a tour and we learned about how Hemingway brought six-toed cats to Key West and now there are currently 42 of these special cats that live his house/museum.

Here are some other cool facts about the Florida Keys:

1.The Florida Keys are located about 24 km south of Miami and extend out toward the southwest and then west toward the Gulf of Mexico.

2. The most populated city in the Keys is Key West.

3. The first inhabitants of the Florida Keys were the Native American tribes Caruso and Tequesta.

4. Through much the their modern history the Florida Keys have been an important area for drug smuggling and illegal immigration.

5. Geologically the Florida Keys are mainly exposed parts of coral reefs.

6. The total land area of the Florida Keys is 356 km2.

7. The climate of the Florida Keys is tropical as in the southern part of the state of Florida.

8. There is a total of 42 bridges connecting the keys.

9. In 1935 the Florida Keys were struck by one of the worst hurricanes in US history.

10. One of the most famous American authors, Ernest Hemmingway, lived in Key West for 9 years. (I visited his house!).

Okay, so those are some Florida Keys facts. I will check in again soon!

M

3 comments:

  1. Hi Max, I was shocked to say the least at the cancelation of Charlie's Angels. In my opinion television should have more not less shows for the whole family to watch. I watched the show last night and thought to myself---maybe they'll change their minds and keep the show on....it was a great show. I hope you will keep your blog going because I totally look forward to hearing from you..Have a great trip home Max..Be safe and be happy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post as always! I am leaving tonight for your side of the continent. One week in New York City! My favorite place. I am thrilled you get to see it among some other terrific destinations.

    I am happy for me that you are home next month but sad for you and your parents that your visit was cut short. I will be sure to let Devin know that I will take you and your buddies up Grouse to check out the reindeer around Christmas time.

    Hug the chef for me now please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll be good to see you guys in Vancouver again. Coming home to Vancouver after New York in November will make Vancouver feel like Florida by comparison.

    There was a six-toed cat up for adoption at the SPCA a few years ago. Seemed like a nice fellow.

    Ross

    ReplyDelete