Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Florida Facts #6


Hey, hi, ho! Here is the next instalment of the Florida Facts series.

Here are some facts about Florida's climate. I have been thinking about how different the climate is here than at home. A couple of weeks ago I experienced some of Florida's hard core climate. I was at Flamingo Park playing soccer with some friends when we saw some dark clouds forming. The next thing you know everyone was grabbing the nets and their bags and running in every direction for cover.  It started to rain and then pour and then we heard thunder and then we saw lightening. My Mom and I ran under a tree but then some people yelled at us to get out from under the tree because the lightening could hit it.

We ran to a covered area nearby and in the distance we saw a lightening bolt that almost looked like it hit our apartment building. I was so scared as I have never been in such a enormous storm in my life. I was super worried that we were going to be hit by lightening and thunder was so loud it made me jump.

Not long after the rain had started the ground around us began to flood. After about 45 minutes it finally stopped and we walked back to our apartment through the flooded streets. It was good to get home.

Now here are some facts about the climate here:
1. Florida's official nickname is the "sunshine state".
2. Florida is the lightening capital of the country and has injured more than 2000 people since 1959.
3. Tropical cyclones have been reported in every month in Florida except for January and March.
4. The average temperature in Florida range from 18 - 21 degrees C (65-70 ºF) in the north and in the south 23 - 25 degrees C (73-77 ºF).
5. The earliest recorded of snow or sleet was in 1774.
6. Summers in Florida tend to be long, warm and pretty humid.
7. The warmest month in Florida is July and the coldest month is January.
8. There are more tornados per square mile in Florida than in any other state.
9. The rainy season is from June through September.
10. The climate in south Florida in considered to be tropical.

Just wanted to say thanks to Theo and Beckett for the note and the drawing and to Curtis for the cool action figure that you sent me and to Sara, Griffin, Molly, Leslie for the emails and to my new teacher back in Vancouver Mr. Lundell for the math book he sent to me.

Has anyone ever been in a thunderstorm before? Were you scared?

See you soon!

M

4 comments:

  1. Well Max....
    I have not been scared by thunder lately however my dog Bob is petrified. I recently learned that a dog owner can buy something called a thunder jacket and it is supposed to help your pet cope. How, you ask? Hmmm...that's my question to you! Thanks for this great post.... Now go hug your mom for me please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not big on thunderstorms - when I was a kid in the interior, one summer it became really humid and oppressive in the middle of the day as I was walking home... all of a sudden a huge thunderclap happened right over my head and it knocked me down! I ran all the way home - yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In spite of some pretty crazy weather, Florida can be a really great place to live. Always take thunder and lightening seriously and take cover right away when you hear or see the signs. I think the whole country has had some weird weather this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie: That sounds really interesting, I am going to do some research and by the next time you comment (on my next post) I will have some info regarding the thunder jacket for dogs. I hugged my Mom for you.

    Sheryl: That sound very, very scary. I would not like that to happen to me. Were you alone walking home? I am glad that we are almost through the big storm season here.

    Monteen: Yes, I agree, I really like living here especially with it getting so cold at home. It is great to be able to walk to school in my shorts everyday. We always take thunder and lightening seriously, that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete